Whether its a pre-natal yoga class or an Aquanatal session you're thinking of going to, you'll need comfortable maternity active kit to get you through the workout!
It's surprisingly difficult to find brightly coloured, supportive and affordable maternity sportswear and because of this it can be tempting to just simply buy larger sizes in regular workout gear. I would advise against this personally, as the clothing will not offer the same level of support for your growing bump. Below I've put together a maternity edit of my favourite pieces, along with the details of where you can buy them from and how much they cost.
A word on sports bras: I would highly recommend getting yourself professionally measured and fitted for maternity bras early-mid pregnancy (or as soon as your regular bras begin to feel tight!) and once again at the 36-38 week mark. It would be also worthwhile getting measured again shortly after birth, once your milk comes in as this can push your size up by at least two cups! Using the sizes your told in these fitting sessions, I would then look for regular sports bras, but make sure it's without the underwiring. Be sure to check out BTBS's handy guide to finding the perfect sports bra, for more info!
1. Home Fit Pregnancy Workout Kit - includes maternity workout top (available in white, black or grey), maternity leggings & a pre-natal work DVD & a pregnancy fitness guide for during & after pregnancy. £99, from FittaMamma.
2. Ultimate Pregnancy Exercise Kit - includes maternity workout top (available in black, grey or pink), high support three-quarter maternity capris & a pre-natal work DVD & a pregnancy fitness guide for during & after pregnancy. £99, from FittaMamma.
3. Speedo Maternity Swimsuit - available in polka dot pink. £24.99, from Sports Direct.
4. Speedo Maternity Swimsuit - available in Violet. £19.99 from Sports Direct.
5. High Support Pregnancy Top - supports bump, back and boobs. Available in black & pink. £49.99, from FittaMamma
6. Maternity Bikini Top (£7) and matching Maternity Bikini Briefs (£5) - available in polka dot blue. Both from New Look.
7. Fit2BeMom Racer Back V Neck Top - available in black, pink or blue. £34.99, from MaternityFitWear
*all prices were correct at time of publishing
Gym Fashion: The Maternity Active Wear Edit
Friday, 28 August 2015
Posted by Karen Oliver at 09:00:00
Since the 11th of May 2011, I have gone from being obese to healthy, rescued myself from diabetes and hypertension and taught myself how to cook along the way. I've gone from being the teen that bunked off PE lessons, to the adult whose hobbies include lifting weights, yoga, dance and mixed martial arts.
My main rule is to live a lifestyle that's fad-free! I encourage everyone to stay well away from faddy diets that could potentially cause more health problems than they solve.
It's all about creating a sustainable, enjoyable lifestyle change.