I am very excited to be on Beyond The Bathroom Scale today! As a vegan mom of three, I am always looking for new, healthy recipes to delight my family. When I adopted a vegan diet almost 5 years ago, there was a steep learning curve to build a new repertoire of recipes and familiarize myself with vegan products. In my new ebook, VeegMama’s Guide To Going Vegan, I share how to transition to a vegan diet and lifestyle simply and easily, and provide lots of delicious recipes.
This one is a nod to my Italian roots, where pasta is a mainstay. This recipe uses De Bole’s Rice Lasagna noodles to make it gluten-free. It also uses a delicious non-dairy, non-soy cheese by Daiya. Both products are available at Whole Foods. I hope you and your family enjoy it!
Vegan and Gluten-free Artichoke and Spinach Lasagna
1 box gluten-free lasagna noodles
12 oz fresh baby spinach
2 cans of artichokes hearts (in water), drained and coarsely chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
16 oz Daiya cheese
2 25 oz jars of marinara sauce
2 14.5 oz cans of chopped tomatoes, drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook according to the package directions (if using De Bole’s, you don’t have to boil them). Drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add artichoke hearts to pan and cook 3-4 minutes.
4. Add spinach to pan in batches. Using tongs, fold in the spinach until slightly wilted, adding more spinach until it is all combined in the pan.
5. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Spoon a ½ cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of a lasagna pan.
7. Add a layer of noodles across the bottom. Spread ½ of the artichoke and spinach mixture over the noodles.
8. Pour the rest of the first jar of sauce over the noodles. Top with 1 can of the drained tomatoes.
9. Sprinkle half of cheese over the veggies.
10. Repeat with the remaining ingredients for one more layer, ending with cheese on the very top.
11. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until done. Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.